Monday, June 7, 2010

812 Kuujjuaq (street names are both overrated and unnecessary)


Alright, so part of my contract includes the city providing me with housing...cue the yellow palace. Sadly I have yet to have had time (surprising to you and me both but I actually have zero free time here) to take photos of the inside but it is actually quite spacious. For all trashy outdoor qualities it makes up for in classy indoor qualities. Also, it may look like I live in a field of dirt...No, it is actually just one giant zen garden, I am just not displaying any decorative raked patterns yet. A work in progress. The yellow palace is also located on prime real estate, directly behind a bank...the only bank.
Seriously prime Kuujj location

My unnamed street. There is only one street name in Kuujjuaq....Airport Road and I don't live on it for obvious reasons. I have however been told I live in what is known as downtown Kuujjuaq, as opposed to uptown Kuujjuaq? I really don't know. Despite the fact that it is a small town I have gotten lost a disgusting number of times...everything here looks the same, seen one colorful tin house seen them all.

THE BLUE BEAST (if I get crafty I may make my own bumper sticker)
Surprise! The council gave me a giant Dodge truck to drive around in (so I can pickup supplies for the pool). I am a menace to the dirt roads considering the largest vehicle I have ever driven was a Toyota Matrix. Luckily driving here really isn't too complicated as max speed is technically 40km/h, and there are no lights or freeways; however, people(aged 7 and up) zip all over the place in little 4x4 off road buggys, dogs roam everywhere, and NO one ever walks on the shoulder of the road, always down the middle. Just yesterday a kid was hit by a POLICE car. The kid is now fine so laughing is totally allowed. I am not exactly sure who was using the truck before I arrived but it was filled with beef jerky wrappers, coke cans, cigarette packages, lots of bullets (no gun) and a compilation CD of throat singing which I am beginning to grow tired of.






5 comments:

  1. Please tell me I can send mail to:

    812
    Kuujjuaq, QC
    Canada

    Also, can my souvenir please be a bullet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaargh I enjoy this soo much. but it just makes me miss you more! is that actually your address??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly you cannot send mail there, but that is my address. If you so desire to send me fan mail it can be sent to: PO box 210 Kuujjuaq QC J0M 1C0

    ReplyDelete
  4. im so happy that laughing is allowed because i'm doing lots of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahahahahahahhahahahahahhaha.

    this is awesome
    you are awesome
    kuujjuaq is awesome


    miss you.

    you look great in that truck.... im just saying.

    ReplyDelete