Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Grocery Shopping Experience in a Northern Village

I feel that the true test of any new place is its ability to provide a desirable and enjoyable grocery shopping experience. Kuujjuaq is home to not one but two grocery stores...I know shocking! So far I have been a loyal customer primarily to "New'viq'vee" (I have absolutely no idea what its translation is in English), yet after recent soon to be described high price discoveries I think I will be abandoning it for "Northern" the grocery store/gas station/fast food combo alternative.
As previously mentioned, when the blue beast was so graciously gifted to me it was filled with a multitude of garbage, including more than a few jerky wrappers. Cue the New'viq'vee beef jerky aisle....
More jerky variety than any vegan could ever dream of! You name a type of jerky and it can be found in Kuujjuaq, although try to buy soy milk or whole wheat buns and you are out of luck.

Jack Link, Northern Village of Kuujjuaq's jerky of choice.

Moving on, located right next to the bananas (seriously), New'viq'vee provides all customers with the opportunity to pick up some free contraceptives before moving further down the aisle to select some outrageously priced produce, perhaps due to loss in contraceptive sales.

Moving quickly through the food aisle which really offer the same things as Provigo/Superstore minus the frills ie organic/health foods (not really a high priority in a city where deep fried bread and beluga fat are considered delicacies) one reaches the clothing section. Although I am fairly certain most people here either order their clothes by catalogue or buy them when they go down to Montreal, some select items are available for purchase such as this gem of a bug jacket. I am actually starting to get a little bit worried for the bugs due to the size of the displays of bug spray and bug apparel. So far I have only seen the odd rogue dinosaur-esque mosquito but who knows, in a couple of weeks I may be adding the bag jacket to my wardrobe.

For all those classy events and special occasions one might have to attend while here, the grocery store offers an extensive collection of pelts. I did bring my sewing kit, so if I am feeling crafty or if the night get really cold who knows what I might be sporting.
I especially enjoy the color-dyed pelts. I pretty sure they are on par for tackiness with those bouquets of dyed blue daisies. The worst, although not pictured, are the purple fox pelts.
Ok, so when I first arrived (almost 2 weeks ago...) my boss gave me a purchase order(basically a blank cheque) to go to the grocery store and buy some food and necessities. I had already brought a bunch of food with me in anticipation of the high food costs, so pretty much just bought some perishables, laundry detergent, dish soap, etc. I also picked up some snacks, because lets be real I am living in Kuujjuaq and probs will need some comfort food...cue the baked buffalo wing style ( surprisingly vegan) pringles. I didn't notice a price when I picked them up but assumed probs like 4 bucks....
WRONG, I spent almost 9 dollars on a bag of chips which really turned out to be not so good. Lets just say I will not be making a repeat purchase.

1 comment:

  1. OK for my souvenir I would now like a bullet plus a state provided condom.

    ReplyDelete