Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Arctic Expedition/Introduction

Ok, so I'm actually in Kuujjuaq and let me tell you it has lived up to all the months of hype...
Thursday morning the parental units insisted upon a 5:30am wake up in order for me to pack my "cooler" (a giant Styrofoam box which resembles perhaps something used to transport organs for transplant) of frozen goods. This of course meant I fell asleep in the cab to the airport, but don't worry the driver woke me up by banging on the dashboard repeatedly. At the airport, I was slightly nervous to check-in due to my two bulging suitcases and sketchy duct taped cooler but I have now learnt when you fly with First Air (an Inuit owned Air Canada affiliate) you can bring as much as you want. Luggage limits mean nothing, in fact I probs should have also brought several cases of beer. It should also be mentioned that the man next to at check-in was decked out head to toe in military garb due to the fact that I am pretty sure he is in the army but still you should be comfortable when you fly. Moving on to airport security, it should again be noted that I was pretty much a walking zombie carrying a giant overstuffed backpack and duffel bag. I finally get to the front of the line where the man immediately assigns me to the line where they are performing intensive checks. All goes well, my laptop is clear, I have no hidden metal object on me, until the lady decides to empty out my duffel bag. At the time this was fairly embarrassing due to the fact that it included random last minute items such as a reindeer, a box of quinoa and a plethora of feminine hygiene products, but I have moved on and can laugh at it now. Anyways, the security agent digs through my crap finally to pull out a metal measuring cup filled with bikini wax which she waves in my face. I explain its use, she laughs and then proceeds to walk to every security personnel in the vicinity and laugh and show them while I get to re-pack my bag. Continuing on, I decide to walk towards my gate knowing full well from past experience I will encounter a Starbucks on my way...WRONG. Apparently First Air flies out only the forgotten area of YUL. The closest thing a Starbucks was a dated Coke machine. I move past this set back considering the emptiness of my gate as a napping bonus...again WRONG. Due to the desolate nature of this gate airport workers seem to have taken it upon themselves to make it a sort of staff room. It quickly became filled with neon vest and reflective strips.
Finally the plane boards and I find myself in the company of a selection of army men, french Canadians in hiking boots and Inuit. to be continued

1 comment:

  1. that airport didn't know what hit them such a hot tall blonde walked in. of course they were going to go through all your stuff! thats crazy i want to hear more!

    ReplyDelete