Thursday, June 10, 2010

Looking for a snack in the Elders' fridge....

In the evening when I work at the Elders' home the shift runs from 7pm to 7am. The home has a full kitchen with two fridges and part of the shift includes both preparing them an evening snack (bannock bread and luke warm tea with heaping amounts of sugar is consumed in outrageous quantities) and breakfast in the morning for the early risers. It is both encouraged and expected that during your shift you can prepare yourself whatever you want to eat. On my first shift, after I had changed more than a few adult diapers and put them all to bed, I opened the fridge to look for a snack....

Canada Goose Wing! They may not be my favourite bird but I was not expecting to see their dismembered wing in the fridge. Mildly disturbed and confused I moved on to the freezer...

Jars filled with white stuff...homemade ice cream? No! I asked my coworker what it was and was shocked, horrified and disgusted...Beluga Fat. Apparently it is like candy to the elders and they eat it plain with a spoon. The entire time this was being explained to me, the song"baby beluga" and visions of the belugas at the aquarium ran through my head. My coworker proceeded to open a jar, make me smell it, and then offer me a spoonful. I guess I should have been honoured that such a delicacy was being offered to me but I politely declined stating I was full just at the moment (my veganism is a Kuujjuaq secret, I am 100% no one in Kuujjuaq would be to cool with it)
For some stupid reason, I moved to the next freezer (after my coworker moved to the next room since I told her I was full) only to be greeted with 2 more wings. This ended my snack quest and taught me an important lesson...Bring your own food to work

The photos were taken at 4am after everyone went to bed as I didn't feel like explaining to my coworker that it really isn't everyday that one finds wing and beluga fat in the fridge.
I have also since learnt that the wings are for sweeping, although they have brooms here so I still don't really get it.

3 comments:

  1. hhahahahahhahahahahahahhaha it just keeps getting better.

    i love you, anna.

    not to be culturally insensitive and what not... but ... ew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that beluga fat is so delicious.

    ReplyDelete