Monday, June 7, 2010

Off roading in the Beast

A couple of days ago (it really is harder than you would think to keep up with this whole blog thing or I just take part in way too many blog worthy activities) Kim (one of the other lifeguards who speaks only french) and I had a couple of hours to kill and decided to take the beast for a cruise down Airport road. We obviously quickly passed the airport and the road went from semi-paved to dirt. The beast obvi has 4 wheel drive so we kept going (Kuujjuaq is turning me into an overly confident truck driver despite zero skill and experience)

The trip really began with the purpose of finding the so-called "beach" which we never truly found but we did walk along the Koksoak river.
Kuujjuaq sits right on the river which if followed 50km North flows into the Ungava Bay. On my Kuujj to do list is to find a local with a boat and force him to take me to the Bay. I want to see icebergs! Apparently they are sometimes in the river, but sadly not right now. My dreams of sliding down an iceberg into glacial water have been slightly crushed but I still hold out hope due my confidence in my own personal powers of persuasion.
Moving further into the Arctic wilderness we stumbled upon what I have now claimed as my own personal Kuujjuaq cottage. Everyone needs somewhere to escape fast paced city life after a long work week.

It is nestled in a nice quiet clearing with a nice view of the river however, it comes with a few drawbacks...there are feathers everywhere from what I can only assume to be the previous owner's hunt and preparation technique of a wild goose. They were nice enough however to leave both birds wings. Locals here use bird wings to sweep...No Really!

The cottage backyard, the biggest drawback. Until tonight, I had seen zero bugs but heard many locals (including my plane friend Bertrand) speak of their legendary size. I am fairly certain this picture summarizes where they are growing, gaining strength, size, and number. From my after dinner walk and the annoying reminder of what is to come between my knuckles....the mosquitoes here are HUGE



No comments:

Post a Comment